A really easy and very handy recipe to have as it uses egg yolks which you have leftover from pavlova and similar recipes. I made it and then froze it for almost a month. It took only about an hour or so to defrost and was perfect. A great one to have on standby for unexpected guests.
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ½ cup self-raising flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C- if your oven is quite hot try 170°C.
- Beat egg yolks and hot water till creamy then gradually add the sugar and beat till thick and pale. Add salt and vanilla.
- Fold in the flour and milk alternately till combined. Pour into a greased and lined 20cm round tin and bake for 20-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. I split the batter between two 20cm sandwich tins rather than cut later but I’m always looking for shortcuts!
- Split cake in half then fill with jam and whipped cream then dust with icing sugar.
I filled mine with some Nutella buttercream as I had extra left over from another bake. My personal choice would be the above suggestion or lemon curd.
Enjoy – Soraya x